Friday, September 16, 2011

Perfect Providence

I am sitting in the airport right now getting ready to go on a little weekend getaway to Boise, ID. It doesn't sound like much of a destination, but Idaho is one of the prettiest states I've seen in the Pacific NW. I can't wait to go spend some time with my family this weekend :-) As I've been sitting here (my flight is delayed...boo) I got to perusing the internet and some blogs I like to read. One of my friends posted about 9/11 and added this video that struck me hard...


Sometimes I sit and wonder about God's perfect providence and how everything really does happen for a reason. This man's story is a perfect example. Out of the ruins of a terrible tragedy comes a great blessing through this man's ministry. Out of the ashes God makes his voice known. I feel it more these days than ever before. Not that it hasn't been present in my life before, but mostly because I never took the time to realize it, appreciate it and stand in absolute awe of it.

Daily I see people staring death in the face. Kids. Adults. Moms. Dads. Teachers. Engineers. Families. Friends. It is my job to care for them and I honestly do love it, but some days the reality strikes hard. Why do these people suffer? How are they inflicted with such suffering and others are not? Why do some people with a great prognosis die and some people expected to die young live long and healthy lives? Is it a miracle? Chance?

As some of you know, Chris was born with gastroschisis which basically means his guts were all hanging out when he was delivered. Yikes. Back in 1986...the technology to see this defect was not around. Could you imagine what his mom must have felt seeing this site? The hours of intense labor you endure in anticipation of meeting your healthy little one, only to give one final push and hear a cry followed by gasps as your baby and his insides come out to greet the world. I could not imagine.

It just so happened that one of the leading Dr.'s at the time who specialized in treating babies with gastrschisis worked at the hospital where Chris was born. In the 1980's, the mortality rate of infants born with gastroschisis was extremely high. Chris was treated by one of the best in the world and to this day has no complications except for a huge scar, no belly button and some acid reflux. Was he simply at the right place at the right time? Had he been born in any other part of the world, statistically his outcome may not have been so great.

And then you look at how we met. Most of you know this story, but Chris and I met on a cruise during the summer of 2005. We just happened to be on the same snorkel boat with about 15 other people. Chance-meeting? Our entire relationship has played out in a similiar way...stars aligning to be together. And now look at my life...how different it would be if he weren't in it. Gets you thinkin', huh?!

In the times when I am wondering why something is the way it is or happened the way it did I always remember Romans 8:28, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." I may not know the why's and how's of every situation, but I have faith that God is in control and that His providence is perfect. And for those of you who like to be in control (I could raise my hand to this one!) sometimes it's hard to admit that you really have no control at all. But in the midst of those situations, to me it is a comforting reminder to know that when things don't always go as planned...there is a reason. I am not saying I am perfect at this. Nor am I saying I still don't like to act like I'm in control...I struggle with it daily. But I do think I am making small strides, one day at a time, towards understanding. And it's only by grace that I am loved by a God that is patient, kind and completely forgives me for the times when I fail.

I choose God's plan over mine. And it's been the times when I've completely submitted to His will that things turn out far greater than I ever imagined. I know many people who echo this sentiment...and some have the scars to show for it...check it out! I think it's pretty hot :-)

Chris may kill me for posting this...but it's the only good pic I have of his scar...cute look, huh?! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment