Saturday, May 11, 2013

Nurses Week

Did you know that this past week was National Nurses Week? I'm feeling the repercussions today as I try to rebound from the sugar coma caused from ingesting various treats lavished upon us over the past several days. It's always a fun week to be recognized for the work we do and feel a little spoiled along the way! But, more than the gifts, posters and parties is the gratitude I feel for being a part of this profession. I've written a few posts here and here sharing some of my stories about being a nurse. This weekend marks 5 years since I graduated from nursing school and started my journey in the field of oncology (crazy!!). There have been days along the way that have been really hard, but I've never doubted my passion for those I've had the privilege to care for over the years. I've seen this picture pop up on social media sites throughout the past week...


and I couldn't agree with the message more. So as we wrap up this week, I'd like to acknowledge all of the wonderful nurses I've had the honor of working with over the years. I'm always encouraged that people like you exist and care for those at their sickest and give so selflessly to others. And most of all, I want to acknowledge all of the patients and families I've helped care for. I really have learned from you more than you'll ever know...thank you for allowing me to be part of your journey :-)

It's always interesting how God places you in the lives of others for a short time and, I believe, for a specific purpose. There are families who I cared for almost daily for months that I'll probably never see again, but I'll never forget them. They'll be left in my heart as a memory, a story or a special momento such as this one I received from a family this week...


As I continue to pursue becoming a Nurse Practitioner over the next few years, I'm always reminded of this quote that I heard right when I decided to pursue this profession..."Nobody cares how much you know until they know how much you care." It doesn't matter how much I continue to learn throughout my journey...I will always fall back on this foundational truth. 

Have a great weekend, dear ones!

xo, 

No comments:

Post a Comment